A few weeks ago, I read a brilliant homeschooling related book, called ” Homeschoolers are not hermits ( A practical guide on raising smart, confident and socially connected Kids ) ” by Kathy Oaks. I will be writing a separate review of the book on another blog post. But I wanted to share with you some of her tips that she gives to new homeschoolers or anyone considering home education. Below you will find my summary of her tips. Hope you find them useful.
- There are lots of benefits to homeschooling, and different families will value different benefits. Be involved and engaged with your child, have fun and relax. If things are not working , try something different.
- Believe in yourself! You and your children can succeed and you will find all the resources you need if you just keep moving forward and doing the best you can every day.
- Take time off before jumping in to homeschooling. Remember to play together as a family and with friends. Learning and living should be fun, for you as well as your children
- The hardest thing about socialisation for homeschoolers is convincing your friends and family that you are not ruining your children. Opportunities are around- make friends and have fun.
- Take a deep breath and plenty of you-time and remind yourself that you and your children are doing the best you can with the resources you have It’s about growing and learning and not about being perfect and that holds true for all of us.
- What homeschooling looks like for your family will most likely change and evolve over time, that is as it should be
- Homeschooling is not a Panacea and it is not for everyone, but it is not as hard as you might think.
- Don’t wait for others to find you. Be proactive and go find the homeschool group you are looking for. You may have to visit several to find one that is a good fit or start one yourself.
- You cannot stop people from learning. We are all programmed from birth to learn constantly. Help your children understand how they learn best and where to find resources and that learning should be fun, interesting and relevant
- And last but not least, you can homeschool whther you loved or hated school. or were somewhere in the middle.
“Homeschoolers are not Hermits” by Kathy Oaks can be bought from Amazon https://amzn.to/2JtMYvw . Please note that this blog post used affiliated links .